Interactive Transatlantic Crossing

Join us for an interactive Transatlantic Crossing!

July 26, 2013

Laura

Posted in: Interactive Transatlantic Crossing

Hi everyone!

Firstly, let me introduce myself… I’m Laura, and I work in the social media team at Cunard. You’ll be hearing a lot more from me over the coming weeks as I’ll be boarding Queen Mary 2 on 8 August to cross the Atlantic to New York. While I’m on board, I’ll be sharing my experiences with you on our social media channels, and I’m also hoping you can help me decide what to do at sea!

To give you all a little bit of background about myself, I joined Cunard at the beginning of the year, I’ve never sailed on board a Cunard Queen before, and in fact, I’m new to cruising altogether.  So after six months of working in the social media team, I thought it was about time I got on board and experienced Cunard’s legendary service on an iconic Transatlantic Crossing; and while I’m there, I’m planning to bring you some behind the scenes insight. It’s safe to say many of you probably know more about crossing the Atlantic than I do, so the idea of this interactive voyage is for you to help me to decide what I should be doing. For those of you who, like me, are new to cruising, I hope to inspire you by sharing my experiences with you. But that’s not all I’ll be doing during the seven night crossing from Southampton – I’ll be meeting with some of the staff to bring you a glimpse of what life is like at sea for those who live and work on board…

With less than two weeks to go until I board Queen Mary 2, I have lots of preparing to do. I’ve made a list of what I need to pack – as well as my camera, formal dresses and my sea legs, I’ll also need my trustworthy travel companion Windsor, the 2013 Cunard bear.

Together, Windsor and I will be sharing our story of our time at sea on the We Are Cunard blog, on our Facebook and Twitter pages, and on our Instagram page. Make sure you’re following us for our regular updates, to get involved in our Facebook polls, and to read our interviews with some of the staff on board Queen Mary 2.

Once we disembark, we’ll be spending three nights in New York, so we’ll have plenty of time to take in the sights of the Big Apple, starting with a special guided tour of the Empire State Building. We will also be visiting some of the places that feature in our New York Holidays packages. We’ll be going on the Circle Line Sightseeing Cruise around Southern Manhattan, visiting the Rockefeller Center and enjoying Macy’s Fashion Breakfast.

So, if you’re boarding Queen Mary 2 on 8 August for her Westbound Transatlantic Crossing to New York, then look out for me and Windsor, as we would love you to come and say hello! And while you’re on board, why not join us on Facebook and Twitter and help us decide what we should be doing while we’re at sea!

1. Ann Wilkinson says:

Hi, Good luck with your new job. I took Stugeron tablets with me which stop sea sickness completely, although Queen Mary is so big she hardly rocks at all, you will have a lovely time. I would love that teddy bear you have is he orderable as I collect teddy bears. I have a bear who is at platinum rating and was awarded his status by the Commodor , he spent most of his days being passed around the ship it was great fun.
    Say hello to Queen Mary for me she is beautiful.
    Lots of Luck
    Ann Wilkinson

2. Jayne Archer says:

Good afternoon Laura
    You are in very safe hands on the grand and gracious QM2.
    I had my first cruising experience on this beautiful liner in November 2008 for my honeymoon. The crossing was smooth despite the time of year so in August am sure you won’t feel like your at sea.
    A must is the Planetarium, it takes your breath away looking at the stars, especially when you can look out at night and see the night sky at its best from your cabin.
    It’s pretty special to sail into the bustle and energy of New York City.
    I am coming to NYC in September for a girls trip but sadly flying. The QM2 is on my wish list to sail the return journey home one day.
    Looking forward to following your adventure with adorable Windsor.
    Wishing you a happy and memorable first cruise.
    Jayne

3. Lesley says:

Oh you lucky lady! I have never been on a ship and the Queen Mary is on my bucket list… I look forward to reading about your adventure.

4. Finola says:

Hi Laura.

My husband and I are from Dublin Ireland. We too are first time travellers on thd QM2 on August 8th from Southampton. It will be a whole new experience for us and we are so looking forward to it. We have read up on every detail of the crossi g and experiences had by fellow travellers. I am sure you will have a great time experiencing all that is QM2 as we intend to do.

Happy sailing

5. Eddie Marshall says:

What a ship to start off with! You will have a ball. She was my first ship experience and loved her. There is so much to do you’ll never get bored. Before I sailed on QM2 I thought tgat I’d be sitting reading all day but I never stopped! I’m looking forward to following your voyage.

6. judith says:

Have a wonderful time. Go back to your room after dinner to pick up the next days copy of the daily programme, you can mull over what to do then, while waiting for the show to start in the theatre. You will be very busy! as well as getting lost, check the carpet on the nearest staircase, to your stateroom, memorise the colour, then you know which one to climb !

7. Alasdair Cook says:

Have a great time. I enjoyed every moment last November, so different to my first cruise which was an educational cruise onboard an ex troopship the SS NEVASA. Got to have afternoon tea one of the Highlights

8. Wish you a calm sea and nice weather for your voyage.My first crossing on the QM2 saw us in flat calm sea which was amazing as I always considered the Atlantic Ocean to be very restless.The return leg was a little more boisterous but the QM2 just ploughed her way through the sea and there was hardly any movement to affect walking through the Grand Lobby etc. On deck a different story as the wind was not good when doing the round the promenade deck walk, except it was different on the leeside.I will read with interest what you found to do which my highlight what I missed seeing and doing on the 2 voyages I enjoyed so much sailing on the QM2. Departing New York in the setting sun was a moment not to miss as the band played New York New York. Bon Voyage

9. I am sooo Jelouse! This would be an awesome exspiriance! Bet it ill give you a unique view of Southampton.
    Best of luck Laura :)

Regards

Steve Maynard

10. Sharon says:

Hello Laura! Will look out for you as we are lucky enough to be sailing with you tomorrow! It’s our first voyage too–can’t wait! Best regards from the Glen Family of Four

11. Rober Spokes says:

A Great Ship Great Shows Food and things to do Golden Lion quizzes are worth a try

12. Joanna says:

Oh you lucky lucky lady. I was one of a party of six who made the crossing in November 2010. Not long after we left Southampton a tremendous storm hit us but ‘The Queen’ just sailed through. I loved everything about the ship including its fantastic library and the planetarium. We sampled a lot of cocktails and I loved dressing up every night particularly for the masked ball. My partner and I are determined we shall sail on QM2 again and the sooner the better. Have fun and Bon Voyage!