Special Guests

Stay Healthy Whilst Cruising With Cunard

June 18, 2012

lisa

Posted in: Special Guests

How does one enjoy the luxuries of a European cruise or tropical getaway, guilt free? Canyon Ranch experts weigh in on how easy it is to stay healthy whilst cruising with Cunard.

Synchronise Your Body Clock.  A change in sleep patterns, a common problem when travelling across time zones, can potentially interfere with the hormones that monitor your appetite and alter your mood. To get your holiday started-off on the right foot, try arriving at a far-away embarkation port one or two days in advance to allow your body to adjust to the time change. And while sailing, aim to keep a consistent bedtime schedule.

Agua. Acqua. Eau. Don’t let yourself get dehydrated while cruising or touring destinations. If you wait until you feel thirsty you’ve waited too long! Proactively drink water and lots of it – carry a refillable water bottle so you can sip on the go (aim for a drink about every five minutes). Think water is too bland? Try green tea (hot or cold) – in addition to keeping you hydrated, the antioxidants are detoxifying and promote relaxation.

Good Eats. Chrissy Wellington, a nutritionist at Canyon Ranch in Lenox says, “You don’t have to deprive yourself during your vacation, but planning ahead and practicing a little self-restraint will help you stay healthy on the road – or at sea in this case.” Chrissy suggests familiarising yourself with the culinary offerings as soon as you get on board so you can identify the unique dishes or desserts you’ll want to indulge in and plan to increase your activity that day. (To make it even easier, choose the Canyon Ranch Spa Selections at every meal, which features gourmet dishes that offer a healthy balance of calories, quality carbs and healthy fats). Another tip: embrace the food philosophy of your destination by sampling fresh ingredients and healthy dishes that are indigenous to the area. Some ideas:

Setting sail to an island or somewhere tropical? Load up on native fruits like mangoes, coconuts, loquats, and papayas.

While sight-seeing in Europe, choose olive oil in place of butter. A staple of European cuisine, olive oil is rich in antioxidants and essential fatty acids.

In the Mediterranean, reduce your risk of heart disease by noshing on meals primarily consisting of fruits, legumes, whole grains and nuts and take advantage of the plethora of fresh fish and seafood options. What’s more, the small portions of Europe and the Mediterranean allow you to enjoy rich, heavier dishes without piling on the calories of a full-sized dish.

Work It Out Don’t let your efforts at the gym fall to the wayside. Utilise the on board workout facilities for a traditional take on being active, or try a new physical activity such as shuffleboard or croquet. Sight-seeing at the ports or walking the parameter of the ship counts too! Carry a pedometer with you and keep track of your steps, aiming to increase your distance each day.

1. John Titheridge says:

Question….I know the water on ships is perfectly safe to drink…BUT someone has said the salt content is high, I recently suffered from swollen ankles & hands on QM2 would this be a reason?

2. Judith Sayers says:

I too had swollen ankles, put it down to the bread roll I had, definitely could taste the salt in that, and more walking and standing than usual. Now I avoid the bread, even though it is nice, and drink extra mineral water. Take a supply to help keep the costs down in the day!! You wont be bringing it home, so will have space for your momentoes/duty free. Last trip I had no bread ,had cunard bottled mineral water at dinner, and no problems.

3. Rob Holloway says:

A lot of the cruiselines now feature Canyon Ranch memu selections for your MDR meals.
    In terms of the swollen ankles and hands , sodium content is something to watch out for so take it easy on soft drinks and salted nuts.

The MDR and the Grills offer canyon Ranch offfeings for all meals, and it is also available with room service. The canyon Ranch healthy choice options are the best for healthy meals that I have enjoyed on any ship. The best part is that they can be orderd al la carte, as an adddition to non-CR items.
    It should be noted that Canyon Ranch menu selections are vailable only on ships that have the Canyon Ranch Spa, and the water, it is de-salinized sea water.

Concerned about sodium, I am, request low sodium menu selections, best to order this request when booking, and that goes for other dietary requests as well.

5. John Titheridge says:

So…has the water got a high salt content or not??

6. Thelma Armeson says:

I found your coments re salt water and waking re swoolen feet etc , well walking helps to reduce that , I have travelled on Queen Mary 2 a few times and never suffered from swoolen feet and I have bad legs?!!!. I would not think the water would have a high salt content, but maybe I am wrong.

7. John Titheridge says:

Oh I did plenty of walking believe me!! trip each port with guided walks, & Rotterdam we went in virtually every flippin’ shop.
    Seriously I have had this discussion before about ship’s water not just QM2 but all ships, I am a champion of water on ships, I have always said it was probably about as clean & pure as possible, others are convinced there is something wrong with it, but the salt thing is a new one on me so I wondered.

8. Judith Sayers says:

Perhaps because it is different water to what we drink at home out of the tap, and affects our body as it tries to adjust? I think the salt is in the food, I dont cook with any salt, prefer to add if necessary at meals, on board salt is used in cooking.

9. Allegra Rose says:

We are sailing on Queen Elizabeth in February 2013, I took suffer from swollen ankles and wrists, I thought this may be due to the water and food. I know Q E does not have Canyon Ranch, so what is their version of the special CR foods at mealtimes? Thanks for any help.