Guest Stories

June 10, 2011

Posted in: Guest Stories, Shore Staff

Guest Blog

Lisa Page

New Media Executive

Cunard Line

I recently boarded our newest Cunarder, Queen Elizabeth, for her maiden Norwegian Fjords Voyage. This was no ordinary holiday or work trip…all of my activities, dining and entertainment choices were in the hands of the Cunard facebook fans (27, 000 of them!)

We left Southampton and headed for Stavanger, Flaam, Geiranger and Bergen; all of which were maiden ports of call for Queen Elizabeth.

Throughout the voyage, I uploaded menus and daily programmes, encouraging our fans to decide how I should spend my week on board; I was also there to answer any questions about cruising in the fjords and Queen Elizabeth.

The thing our facebook fans seemed to enjoy most was choosing my dining options; this was usually a real pleasure regardless of the choices…until they decided on Oxtail Soup one evening. I reluctantly placed my order and was very pleasantly surprised! Here’s my first ever experience of Oxtail Soup, followed by Salmon and a very chocolaty dessert:

Shore excursions play a big part in seeing what the Norwegian ports have to offer and we had plenty of suggestions from past guests of QE2 and Queen Victoria. During the Lysefjord excursion from Stavanger the tour guide told us we may see some seals basking along the rocks. I had my camera at the ready and stared at the shore for any signs of wildlife, it seemed that the seals were not coming out to play that day but I remained hopeful. As we continued cruising further into the fjord I noticed a herd of goats up high on the hill (and proceeded to hum the Sound of Music melody), much to my excitement they ran straight down towards our boat and we stopped to feed them:

My quest for wildlife spotting continued and I noticed some mussels alongside the rocks:

Which I went on to get a closer look at that evening at dinner:

As well as food, all of my on board activities were decided on facebook, I tried out a range of pursuits from an iPad seminar, to La Danza in the Royal Court Theatre and the Big Band night in the Queens Room:

I was happy to discover that afternoon tea was also a very popular choice:

In Flaam I was encouraged to try the famous railway, where I got to take in some beautiful scenery and came face to face with a rather charming troll:

The thing that surprised me most about Norway was how picturesque and breathtaking the ports are, and many of our facebook fans likened the scenery to Alaska. Here’s Queen Elizabeth in Geiranger:

And here are some of the beautiful views from my dinner table:

During the week on board I saw some amazing sights and shared them daily on the facebook page, here are a couple of  favourites:

It was certainly a week to remember, and I was delighted to share it with the thousands of Cunarders online! If you’d like to see any more of the photos you can view them on the Cunard page here: www.facebook.com/cunard

1. Roger Waterfall says:

Lisa,

Enjoyed your photos, particularly those of Geiranger.
    They reminded me of calls there when I was a serving officer on ‘Hebridean Spirit’.
    It was also a maiden call for us, following the naming ceremony in Leith by HRH Princess Anne in 2001.
    (It must have been a nostalgic day for her, as we were moored next to the Royal Yacht Britannia)
    The other link between MV Queen Elizabeth and Hebridean Cruises is that the Queen, who named the Cunarder, cruises on Hebridean Princess.

Good picture of afternoon tea, a great Cunard tradition which we have enjoyed on QE2 and Queen Mary 2.
    Is this also still complimentary on Queen Elizabeth or has it been slid into the “speciality teas and coffees” clause as an extra charge? I hope not as we are looking forward to our afternoon tea during the
    Baltic Explorer 111 in August.

I can relate to the wonderful scenery in the Norwegian Fjords as I experienced this on Queen Victoria’s maiden cruise to the Fjords and will be returning there next year but this time going up to the North Cape which I am really looking forward to but before that I will be experiencing all that Queen Elizabeth has to offer when I take a short cruise on her at the end of August with my two teenage grandaughters who are so excited and can’t wait to get on board.

3. Sheila Hick says:

Enjoyed looking at your photos,four of us are going on the Queen Mary 2 on July 13th to The Norwegian Fjords…..can’t wait

Next year we have a booking on the Queen Elizabeth from Dubai to Southampton…she looks a beautiful ship

4. judith sayers says:

Lovely pictures. We went on that trip on Queen Mary last year, we walked up the valley to the church at Flaam, next time will try the train trip. Looking forward to 1st July and the Baltic on Queen Elizabeth.

5. Bill Bradbury says:

If you get the weather The Fiords is the best of Cunard. Pity it does not go up to Svalbard (Spitsbergen) which has spectacular scenery. We could not land as the then glorious morning was likely to turn bad. The captain could get us off the then QE2 but not back on. As we sailed out in glorious sunshine (magnificant snow-capped mountains) we could see the weather closing in behind-a good decision.So as a great compensation we sailed around Bear island,so those with high powered binoculars got a wonderful display of birdlife on the towering cliffs. Reminded me of the film “The Thing”. In North Cape Honningsvag temp was aproaching 80 degrees, well worth the view from the near-by hill not a long or difficult walk 20 minutes if fit-no need to go to top. Great views of the ship in the bay. Same walk from ship in Alesund up the nearby hill, just follow your nose and eyes. Steps from the park or road around the back. Great photo views again. Mount Dalsnibba from Geiranger a must but needs to be clear. We took the coach trip from the nearby Fiord whilst QE2 sailed around to Geiranger. That trip was worth the money(all day)Skiers jumping over the bus and snow walls on either side of the bus. Flamm great train trip but the only disaster was the Brewery (which I thought was a church, by the side of the ship) where the beer was approx. £6/pint and that was some years ago, so have plenty of cash if you go in now!! I’m boring you but I must echo Lisa’s view. Pity she did not go further north. We will go back hoping Spitzbergen is back on the cruise.

6. Keith says:

Hope they do the isle of man on the round britain cruise.

7. Freda & Bill Cureton says:

How exciting to read about those wonderful Norwegian fjords with spectacular photos. Great job Lisa. Bill & I are very much looking forward to our North Cape cruise on 15 July – our first visit to the fjords during the Land of the Midnight Sun and a return visit to the elegant Queen Elizabeth. Cheers.

Freda Cureton