Updates

A Very Royal Affair

April 28, 2011

Posted in: Updates

Amongst all the challenges around the world – at last we all have some good news to celebrate – and at Cunard we plan to celebrate it in style. When Diana married Prince Charles in 1981 I was sharing a flat with friends in Palace St, London – just round the corner from Buckingham Palace. It seemed as though the whole country had come to London to celebrate. As the happy couple drove back down The Mall in their open top horse drawn carriage we all stood on the pavement and watched them pass close up. We also saw the famous kiss from the balcony. There is something unique and special about our Royal Family – I will always remember that day and I am sure that this wedding will be just as magnificent. It’s good news, something for us all to be proud of and something to celebrate. This time I plan to watch it from home over a BBQ – but I expect we will all feel the emotion as we see William kiss his Princess just as his mother kissed her Prince all those years ago.

And that is exactly what we plan to do – celebrate it in style with 6,600 of our guests across the fleet. We are fortunate to have close links to our Royal Family and that should create an extra special atmosphere. Have a look at this video – we filmed the preparation onboard Queen Mary 2 in New York earlier this week.

We will have blog reports and photos from each of our ships for you to read after the weekend – and I hope that you enjoy the moment wherever you are around the world.

Best regards

Peter

1. Sean King says:

The Royal Wedding is history in the making. The fact that it takes place tomorrow is going to be amazing. Although I work tomorrow, I will be keeping tabs with my mom at home who is recording it on 3 different channels. It is a great day for Cunard with the Royal Wedding as it says a great deal about the company and the New Generation. I am proud to be part of the Cunard Family.

SK

I will be watching the wedding from the comfort of my armchair and will raise a glass in celebration of the happy couple. It will be an amazing day for all the guests on all three Queens as Cunard has such a link with the royal family.

3. Rob Holloway says:

On Vancouver Island we will either be up at 2AM pst or running the PVR at 1AM pst to catch everybody arriving.
    It is history in the making.
    Rob

4. Sailor says:

I heard that you guys are having a special toast for the royal wedding. Have fun and enjoy your cruise.

5. David Winslow says:

Peter:
    Thank you for the blogs both past and present. I like millions around the world have watched the Royal Wedding and will toast Prince William and his beautiful bride now, Princess Catherine. May fortune forever shine on the happy couple and the Royal Family.

As a proud Cunard employee, I was delighted to learn of the way in which our guests and crews will be able to share in this special event on board our magnificent ocean liners. May this day provide a lifetime of memories for our guests and crews at sea and our extended Cunard family ashore, be they fellow employees past or present, or our legion of Cunard friends.
    Our associations, traditions and legacy are the ties that bind.

Proud to say,
    “We Are Cunard”
    David W

6. judith sayers says:

Who will be eating the cake? We saw a lovely cake decorated for the Queens birthday whilst we were on board Queen Victoria, but none came our way!! Hope everyone has a great time. Thank heavens it stayed dry for the occasion.

7. Larree & Dona Chetelat says:

Our congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. We set out alarm to arise here early morning in Colorado to see the grand wedding and all that joyous celebrating.

Hi Peter,
    We went to London for the Royal Wedding and walked down the Mall and around Buckingham Palace
    on Thursday evening. The atmosphere was awesome!!

We watched the whole event with friends at a BBQ in North London.
    We are sure eveybody on all 3 Queens thoroughly enjoyed the day.
    It is very fitting to see the video from QM2 as Cunard has so many connections with our Royal Family
    Very best regards