August 26, 2010
We Are Cunard
Posted in: Queen Elizabeth
Countdown to Queen Elizabeth – 46 days
Queen Mary 2 is on her way back to Southampton, after her Norwegian voyage, while her sister Queen Victoria is also returning to Southampton after her Mediterranean voyage. Meanwhile as the world awaits Cunard’s new Queen, more and more staff are arriving in Italy in anticipation of Queen Elizabeth’s delivery in just over five weeks. Next week we will hopefully bring you some pictures from Trieste, where she is currently in dry dock receiving the final coats of paint to her hull, before returning to Monfalcone for the last stage of her outfitting.
By the way, I’ve just discovered that there are a few rooms left on her voyages sailing this year (although not her maiden voyage which sold out in a record 29 minutes!) so if you’re quick you may still get on board.
In today’s post we have some exciting news about the shopping on our new Queen that has just been announced, but that’s after this day in Cunard’s history for the week 21 to 27 August:
|August||26||2007||Cunard names the senior officers who will be lead the inaugural team for Queen Victoria|
|August||27||1870||At 3,700 tons and 420 foot long, the Oceanic is launched for White Star Line. It is the first of four sisters, The Atlantic, Baltic and Republic|
Ever since Queen Mary entered service in 1936, Cunard’s Queens have been famous for offering exciting on board shopping and have featured some of the finest luxury brands and gifts from around the world.
Queen Elizabeth’s ‘Royal Arcade’ will look fairly similar to the one on her sister Queen Victoria.
The shops on board our new Queen will feature many familiar names, but some new ones will join them. An impressive addition to the line up is Fortnum & Mason, who will open the first-ever sea-going branch.
Since 1707 Fortnum & Mason has been the quintessential English store, situated in the heart of London’s Piccadilly, and issued with three Royal warrants. The branch on board Queen Elizabeth will offer unique foods, gift wear and award-winning hampers.
Guests on board Queen Elizabeth will also be able to purchase brands that have never before been available at sea. Our Cunarder will be the only ship in the world to feature the following luxury products:
- Hackett: Men’s designer clothing by Hackett of London are known as producers of the finest authentic and classic menswear; ‘The home of the essential British kit’.
- Harris Tweed are world renowned for their genuine hand-woven Scottish woollen fabrics.
- Anya Hindmarch is the English fashion accessories designer who always had a passion for bespoke details and Queen Elizabeth will feature the latest designs on board.
- Chopard: For 150 years Chopard has offered watches and jewellery of exceptional quality, exclusively created to the highest standards in Geneva. To celebrate the launch of Queen Elizabeth the company has produced the ‘Chopard Queen Elizabeth watch’ – a limited edition watch combining the dual branding of Chopard and Cunard.
- Penhaligons have been issued with two Royal warrants and their products are made in England using the finest rare ingredients from bergamot to jasmine.
- Aspinal of London was founded on the fundamental premise of offering their customers the most beautiful objects of unsurpassed quality and design for home and living.
This is what two of our new stores will look like:
To celebrate Queen Elizabeth’s introduction, three brands have launched special items:
- Clogau: The jeweller to The Queen has produced a gold Queen Elizabeth limited edition pendant exclusively for Cunard.
- Rotary: A specially commissioned ‘Queen Elizabeth watch’ will only available onboard the Queen Elizabeth.
- Halcyon Days: The Company has commissioned a special pillbox that links the heritage of the brand with luxury at sea.
A new ‘Cunard Signature Collection’ on board Queen Elizabeth will offer a premium logo collection ranging from travel accessories to designer clothing. Cunard were the first to offer suit hire facilities at sea, and Queen Elizabeth will continue this valuable service with Moss Bros Hire being available to provide everything needed for elegant formal events.
Following the announcement, Peter Shanks, Cunard President and Managing Director, told me:
“Decades of experience have told us that the on board shopping experience is important to our guests and Cunard has an unrivalled reputation for providing the finest shopping at sea. Queen Elizabeth will be no exception and I am very excited with the range that will be offered on board by quality world-famous brands that are a perfect fit with the Cunard brand”.
Well that’s it for this Blog but I’ll be back on Monday with some pictures of Queen Elizabeth in her dry dock in Trieste, Italy along with some new interior pictures as well. Next week I hope to catch up with Queen Elizabeth’s sisters as well. Cheers for now, Alastair