Queen Elizabeth’s Float Out Ceremony On Video – Part 1

January 11, 2010

Countdown to Queen Elizabeth – 274 days

As I prepare to fly to New York to meet Queen Victoria on her 2010 World Voyage, I am delighted to say that the first Video Blog from Queen Elizabeth’s Float Out ceremony is now ready.  As I mentioned in my last post, this is the first part of four from the day. The ceremony began on the new Games Deck, where following tradition, our Madrina, Dennie Farmer was invited to weld the three coins to the bulk head, after which our President and Managing Director, Peter Shanks added his welding skills to complete that part of the day’s celebrations.

And here, having completed their tasks, Peter and Dennie are photographed in front of the newly welded coins which Queen Elizabeth’s guests will be able to see whenever they visit the Games Deck.

Fincantieri Ship Yard Director, Paolo Capobianco then signed Dennie’s apron to commemorate the occasion.

So now, here’s the video which I hope you agree really captures the excitement of the first part of the day.

As I mention in the video, the ceremony then moved to the dock side, and the Video Blog which sees this bottle of Italian Prosecco break on Queen Elizabeth’s Hull, will be posted later this week.

We will then get to see the lock gates release water in to the massive dry dock, and Queen Elizabeth’s hull touches water for time. I also have some great interviews from the day on the way as well.

I’ll be back on Thursday with the weekly Blog when I’ll let you know how the World Voyages on Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria are going, and of course more pictures and videos from Queen Elizabeth’s float out ceremony. Cheers, Alastair

1. Gail Roberts says:

Oh, Alastair!

It was the next best thing to being there! Thank you so much for sharing the excitement of the beautiful Queen Elizabeth’s float out ceremony! Looking forward to Part 2 with tears of joy! She looks so majestic!!! Thanks,

2. dan zaklan says:

hello – great to see this 1st vid – i was wondering why the plaque reads m.s. queen elizabeth – why not r.m.s. queen elizabeth? – cheers

3. Grant Thomas says:

Amazing to see the progress in such a short time span. Looking forward to seeing her come into her new home of Southampton :-)

This video is great a made me feel that I was there witnessing this great moment and cannot wait until your next video. Wishing you a safe journey to New York to meet up with Queen Victoria for her World Cruise. Regards Beryl

5. Thanks for all of your comments, it really was a great day and i’m glad you enjoyed the video – there’s more footage to come this week.

In response to Dan’s question, the plaque on Queen Elizabeth reads ‘M.S Queen Elizabeth’ because she will not be designated a Royal Mail Ship (RMS). Queen Mary 2 is an RMS and Queen Victoria is an MS (Motorship).

Cheers, Alastair

6. Christian Reay says:

I just cannot believe how quickly Queen Elizabeth has grown since the first block was laid down in the dry dock back in July.

This is a proud testament to shipbuilding and the advances that have allowed this to happen.

I’m interested to know what the Queen’s ‘voice’ (her horn/whistle) will sound like? Will it be the same as iconic QE2 or that of the first Queen Elizabeth?

Looking forward to part 2 of the video.

Christian

7. Steve B says:

HI Alastair,

Once again a great film and a great blog. I hope you are going to be the entertainment director on this ship at Christmas this year in the carribean.

Regards
    Steve Bass

8. brogan swan says:

Great stuff Alistair,

Cant believe she now looks like a ship in such a small space of time. Counting down the weeks/months until my trip on her. Looking forward to the next post on thursday.

9. Ron says:

Excellent as always, Alastair. Thanks for the video. :)

10. Jamie says:

Alistair,

In the furture cunarders will there be another RMS’s and ocean liners to come or do we have the uncertain future of the MS’s and vita ships?
    Althougth as long as they are cunarders im not that fussed

Jamie