Breaking News – A Lot Happens On Queen Elizabeth in a Month

October 5, 2009

As Queen Victoria continues her voyage in Canada and New England, Queen Mary 2 is not far behind visiting some of the same ports on this exciting itinerary. I’ll have some pictures from Queen Victoria’s maiden call to Halifax soon, but in the meantime congratulations are in store for the ship’s company of Queen Victoria.

The ship underwent a series of inspections last week as it was our first time back in American waters since January and the first ever visit to Canada. This is a regular process, so we were prepared as always to receive inspectors from the United States Coast Guard, the United States Public health and also Health Canada. The crew received many compliments from the Coast Guard for their high standards of knowledge and training. Both public health organisations score for their standards of health and hygiene and I am delighted to tell you that Queen Victoria performed brilliantly which is a huge credit to all crew members for their hard work and diligence.

As you know, last week I received some pictures from Simona in the Fincantieri Shipyard in Italy, showing the continuing construction of Queen Elizabeth, so now, as promised I would like to share those with you.

It’s amazing how much progress has been made in less than a month and from this picture you can see the extra blocks that have been put in place.

This is the port side of the ship looking forward and you can see that she now reaches up to deck 9 in the middle section. Another gangway has been put in and she’s starting to look recognisable.

The forward part of the ship has also grown in the last few weeks with another section of the bow now in place.

This is a view of the bow thrusters which are basically propellers placed in a short tunnel from one side of the ship to the other. Their purpose is to assist the ship’s maneuvering especially when coming in and out of port, and working in conjunction with the ‘Azipods’ on the stern of the ship, it means that in the majority of cases, Queen Elizabeth is able to dock without the need of tugs. This next picture is looking at the forward part of the ship, looking aft.

You can just about make out the green motor for the bow thrusters below. There is only a small section of the forward keel yet to be placed along with the ship’s bulbous bow.

I’d like to say a massive thank you to Simona in the ship yard in Monefalcone for sending these great pictures and to our chief Engineer, here on Queen Victoria, Willy Robinson for helping me to identify the more technical aspects of the photos.

We’ll hopefully get some more pictures soon and of course we’ll keep you updated with any further announcements about her progress. I’ll be back on Thursday with the regular weekly Blog, but for now thanks as always for logging on and all your questions. Cheers for now – Alastair

1. I’m pleased to say that QM@ braved early morning rain and had a pleasant stay in Newport, Rhode Island. She left at 1820 as darkness began to fall. Moving from her anchorage, she gave three blasts on her whistle,saluting Newport (the sound could be heard, I’m sure, all over Southern, Rhode Island. The original Queen Mary never visited Newport, so since QM 2′s whistle is from Queen Mary, perhaps we can call it a visit by proxy! As QM 2 sailed towards Beavertail Light, at the outer limits of the harbor, she was a glorius and imposing sight were her lights aglow.

2. Dave Meineck says:

Alastair,
    Thanks for update on Queen Elizabeth.
    This time next week we will be on board QM on the around the british isles cruise, making her Maiden visits to Glasgow,Liverpool & Cork. Last time we made tis trip was on the QE2sgoodbye to the British Isles.
    Please inform Capt Ian McNaught that we will be thinking of him when we enter & depart the above Ports,Including the farewell concert at Liverpol AND trying to wear out the ships whistle at every port. The passengers and crew on board at that time will know what i mean.
    Dave M.

3. Helen Robb says:

Cant wait………this day next year we will be about to board the new Queen Elizabeth for the maiden cruise……..and it will be our 25th wedding anniversary……celebrations!!!!!!!

4. Doreen Beaumont says:

Great to have the details of QE11 particularly the pictures. Please continue.

5. Ray Young says:

It’s nice that you can keep us up date with Queen Elizabeth’s progress.
    We did meet you during Queen Victoria’s third cruise in 2008. The Togs cruise!!!
    My wife and I have already booked for the third cruise of Queen Elizabeth and should you be on board during that cruise, it would be nice to meet up with you again.

Ray Y.

6. mary burnett says:

Iam a hugh Titanic history buff. All of my friends believe I was aboard her.Is therer going to be a special sailing of service for her hugh anniversary?

My very first cruise was 1973 transatlantic aboard the QE2,which started me on a life long love os cruising and certainly spoiled me.

Thank-you for carrying on the tradition of great ships and service. Mary Burnett

7. Silvia Brotherton says:

Hello Alastair, It is so nice to hear about the progress of Queen Elizabeth. I just wish I had known she was being built in Venice as I was there just a couple of weeks ago. I am booked to travel on QE next year on one of her maiden voyages, and can’t wait. This trip will be to celebrate my mothers 80th birthday. I was lucky enough to have travelled on the QE2 around the Carribean in 2007, with Captain Ian McNaught and his team of staff and crew who were so friendly and attentive, and have such wonderful memories of that glorious ship, and I am certain that the QE will be no different. Kind regards Silvia Brotherton

8. ANGIE OAKLEY & JUNE ADDISON says:

WE TO WERE ON THE LAST ROUND BRITAIN CRUISE OF THE QE2, WOULD NOT HAVE MISSED IT FOR THE WORLD, WE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME AS ALWAYS,BUT HAVE NEVER CRIED SO MANY TEARS. WE ARE ALSO LUCKY ENOUGH TO BE BOOKED ON THE MAIDEN VOYAGE OF THE NEW QUEEN SO ARE WATCHING YOUR BLOG WITH MUCH INTEREST. IN THE MEANTIME WE ARE MAKING MORE THAN THE MOST OF THE LOVELY QUEEN VICTORIA. SEE YOU VERY SOON.
    REGARDS. ANGELA OAKLEY

9. Anne & Terry Loftus says:

After QE2 we were so sad- having booked on the maiden voyage of Queen Elizabeth we are really looking forward to next year – keep the pictures coming, watching the build is great!

10. jackie bailey says:

Hi ALISTAIR, We are seen you on both the QM2 and QV and have enjoyed your morning tv shows! and decided to have a look at your blogs. We are also one of the lucky ones to be booked on QE Maiden year the Christmas/new year 2010 we are so looking forward to that trip and it is lovely to watch the builing progress with your pictures cant wait to see her!
    I wish to thank all the staff of Cunard for their wonderful service and friendlyness all the very best to you all!

Hi Alastair

Having just returned from the Canaries Cruise on Queen Victoria which we thoroughly enjoyed I would like to thank all the Cunard staff for the excellent service and making us feel so very special.
    It was nice chatting with you at the Bloggers meeting and eagerly await your next update on Queen Elizabeth when you are in Venice.

12. Debbie Lashley says:

I also did the QE2 40th Ann trip – will never forget it. I have segments on a CD of the Liverpool concert that was floating around just after that I downloaded. I listen to it often and it takes me back immediately. 4 of us will be on the Dec 1 2010 voyage of the new Queen Elizabeth and we cannot wait. Please continue with the progress photos – it helps pass the time to see her being built.