Queen Mary 2

James Taylor on Queen Mary 2 – Exclusive Video – Part One

June 29, 2009

Posted in: Queen Mary 2

Countdown to Queen Elizabeth – 436 days

As you will no doubt be aware from my Blog last week, Cunard was proud to host James Taylor on the Transatlantic Crossing from New York arriving in Southampton last Thursday. Thanks to Brian O’Connor and Eric Allen, a two-part exclusive James Taylor video diary was recorded starting with embarkation in New York on 19 June that captures interviews with James and his family and the afternoon sail away.

Here is part one.

Coming soon, part two, which will include my fellow Entertainment Director Ray Rouse interviewing James Taylor in front of a live audience in the Royal Court Theatre, a guest autograph and photo session, video clips from his Cunard Command Performances and guest reaction to this exclusive event aboard Queen Mary 2.

1. Dave Meineck says:

Alastair, A good and intersting Video, look forward to part Two.
    Dave M.

2. Rob and Gail Dodd says:

Brillo. We were on the ship. Brings back great memories of sail away and so much more !!. We were also lucky to see both concerts and have my 40 year old album Sweet Baby James signed by James along with a treasured photo. The interview was great, so really looking forward to seeing it. Is there any plans to produce a D.V.D. ( OR T.V. SHOW )of the concert/ cruise. It really was a magical experience. We have tickets to see James this Sunday 6th July at Birmingham, really looking forward to it. thanks for video No 1

3. Koolforkatz says:

Wow – I would have loved this cruise. I remember my girlfriends and I were so totally in love with him “Sweet Baby James” many years ago…. thank you!

4. Alan Shaw says:

My wife Jan and I were lucky enough to be able to travel on this cruise and although we have done it twice before, we must confess that JT was the real reason this time. (As well as our 33rd wedding anniversary)

To be able to rub shoulders with the Taylor family and enjoy the question and answer session, meet him and have autographs signed as well as see 2 wonderful, unique concerts was just a dream come true.

It confirmed just what we knew, he is a very special person, very sincere, thoughtful and caring. We will remember it always and these videos just make it perfect.

So, thank you to the Taylor family, the band (Steve Gadd’s drumming was just amazing) and to Cunard. What a privilage, we will remember it always!

This was a great ‘Sea Cruise’ indeed.

Alan & Jan Shaw

Nottingham England

5. Great videos with James Taylor and a fantastic coup for Cunard. Sailed on QM2 twice and wish we had been on that one. Never mind, second cruise in August on QV to the Baltic. Yipee!

6. I was really interested to receive information about the video which I enjoyed not only because of James Taylor but as it brought back memories of sailing on the QM2 and QE2 out of New York. It must have been amazing to be on board and to have seen James Taylor and his band in concert. I would like to have more information on who is performing on board the Cunard ships as this would certainly be a factor for choosing a particular cruise. Perhaps Cunard could be more proactive in providing this information.

7. Ann Howarth says:

I was on this cruise with my mother and my brother. James Taylor came across as a really kind, thoughtful and unassuming person. The concert on the last night exceeded my expectations. The atmosphere in the theatre was wonderful and the performance was memorable. It was a great end to an enjoyable cruise.

8. Robert Hardless says:

Having listened to a James taylor feature on BBC Radio 2 he commented that he was sailing to UK on QM2. I worked out the sailing and went down to book. We say the Q&A session, queued up to meet him and he was charming and then saw his fantastic concert. Well done to Carol Marlow and Cunard for pulling off a wonderful event and a great trip. The scones at afternoon tea were mind blowing.
    Robert &Alison

9. Karen White says:

Thank you for providing this forum for those of us who wish to share our experiences onboard the QM2. I boarded the QM2 with a ravaged and broken heart due to the end of my 22 year marriage. I had been soothing my soul with James Taylor’s music for the past year. My friend had invited me to join her on this ( June 19-June 25) voyage. It was simply serendipitous that James Taylor was to be onboard. The concerts were perfect in the intimate Royal Theatre venue. Thank you to Laura for finding me the best spot to enjoy the concert. I had the time of my life on that lovely ocean liner. I left feeling renewed. Although I’m not completely healed. I believe another voyage will be required…

10. We had originally booked the June 19, 2009 voyage back in 2008, but on March 10, 2009, moved it up to May 31, 2009. Later that day, Cunard announced James Taylor would be on our original booking. Should have waited a few hours. Nevertheless, we had a great time on our trip. When we got back to NYC, we met up with lecturer Christine Roussel and took her on a trip on the Fireboat John J. Harvey (that sprayed water on our May 31, 2009 departure from NYC). Looking forward to our next trip on the QM2.

11. Bonnie and Dale says:

We were on the sailing with James Taylor. He was so generous with his time, signed autographs and took pictures for three hours, gave two concerts, and spoke to passangers around the ship. Robert from Robert and Allison (comments above)got to see the concert twice because my husband Dale gave his concert ticket to Robert, who is such a huge fan. James Taylor gave a great performance and it was a great cruise.

12. Alisa Gabriel says:

My friend Jamie Chesman and I were lucky enough to experience this fantastic crossing, see James Taylor perform, and meet this lovely man in person.

James is as warm, generous, and open as his music would lead you to expect. He has been especially kind to Jamie’s son, who was paralyzed by a spinal stroke nearly 2 years ago, sending a personal greeting that truly inspired this young man at an unimaginably dark time.

Kudos to Cunard for giving us all a chance for such a magical voyage– please book him again!!